Test Drive App
Design a mobile & tablet application which make car dealers able to manage the test drive process, from booking to handover and follow-up, track sales performance and keep track of the utilisation of the demo and loan cars.
The biggest challenge was to design a simple and fast test drive booking process.
Field research / Interviews
In the beginning of the project I visited a number of dealerships to investigate their current systems and how they manage the test drive bookings everyday. By observing their day to day work and ask them questions, I defined their challenges and painpoints. Also I conducted remote interviews and workshops with stakeholders.
After analysing the research findings, I created personas to represent the target audience. The main painpoints of the target audience were:
- Manage test drives in a paper form (difficult to maintain, takes a lot of time and effort).
- Manage customer profiles and booking date & time in different places.
- Potential damage is noted on a paper (difficult to maintain damage history).
- Difficulty to log customer feedback.
A workshop with stakeholders was conducted, focused on the test drive booking flow which was the most challenging part of the app. The main parts of the booking flow were:
- Calendar to select the preferred date and time.
- Account creation
- Ability to note the potential damages of the vehicle.
- Test drive feedback.
The next step was to translate the flow to sketches and wireframes.
I wanted to validate our flow so I tested it by using low fidelity designs to save time and money. I created some test cases and invited 5 participants to book a test drive using an inVision prototype.
- Time to book a test drive
- Error rates
- Satisfaction (using System Usability Scale)
I noticed that some users had difficulty to specify a custom date range when they wanted to test drive a vehicles on a custom date and time. So we redesigned and retested this part of the flow.
The usability testing of the booking flow helped me to focus and identify the problems of the initial design concept. By redesigning the flow based on the test results I helped dealers to book a test drive in less time.